A Child’s Right to Compensation

Children may just as easily suffer a major injury as an adult, which can leave them suffering. You may be helping your child right now as they face paralysis, burns, brain injuries, and other major losses. However, a minor doesn’t have the same legal rights as an adult. 

While many people sadly consider that the end of their child’s claim, there are other options. Your child may be able to seek out compensation in their name with your help and the help of an attorney. 

The Rights of Minors 

The obstacle many parents with injured children struggle with most is the fact that their child is a minor, which means they’re not legally old enough to stand trial. They don’t have the legal rights and options to seek out an attorney, for example, especially if they’re not near the age of majority, or adulthood. 

However, that doesn’t mean your child has no rights to compensation. Instead, your child has the right to seek out help when they reach legal age and can file for themselves. 

For example, let’s say your child had their learning permit to drive, but they were hit by a careless driver and badly injured. Your child may only be fifteen and not old enough to seek out an attorney. Fortunately, New York law states that the time limit for their claim won’t begin until they reach the age of eighteen. Once this happens, they’ll be able to file a claim with their Long Island car accident lawyer


A Parent’s Rights

As their parent, you might be thinking about what you can do to help your child. That’s not just an emotional response for your child, either—you may be the one responsible for covering their losses, leaving you in medical debt for your child. 

Because of this, you may be able to file on behalf of your child. To return to the example above, your child may instead act now with the help of a guardian ad litem, who will be responsible for organizing and leading the case. That way, your child can seek compensation they may be eligible for and recover now, rather than dealing with debt and their trauma. 

Your Child’s Options 

When your child is hurt in a severe accident, chances are good that you want to see them succeed and recover from their injuries. That’s tough to do when they’re simply not old enough to act now for their compensation. 

As a parent, it’s important to stay up-to-date with your rights as a parent and your child’s rights. If you believe your child may be entitled to compensation, a lawyer’s guidance may be what you need to act as their guardian and get them the help they need. 

For more information on specific cases, check out our website for more information. We focus on the health and safety of your children, so if you have questions about their case and you’re not sure where to begin, check out our site for the details you need.